Saturday 6 December 2014

Catch Up

Lately I've just been a bit of a slob in all aspects. Forgetting to shower every day, missing out on a few key postcards for friends, keeping my life/backpack organized, and most noticeably having a very insignificant online presence. But I'm back on track-ish. This is going to be a whirlwind post updating you all on what I´ve been up to since Banos, which is quite a bit.
Quito, Ecuador

Bought hiking boots for the first time as my FiveFingers finally died after a good 3 years worth of service. Went go karting in the rain instead of taking the Teleferico to the top of Quito. Had my first camp fire/hostel rooftop bar fire in ages. Did a handstand over the (fake) equator line. Spend a friend's birthday dinner smashing out an entire roast chicken together. 

Quite a few meters off the actual equator line


Quilotoa, Ecuador

An awesome inactive volcano that turned into a lake a bit off the well worn path in Ecuador. Took a bus and a taxi there. Walked to the edge. Walked down. Walked around. Struggled up. Took a bus back to Quito. Got some snaps. 

Volcan Quilotoa


Cotopaxi, Ecuador

Unfortunately only had two days here. Such an epic little hostel/lodge tucked away in the countryside near Volcan Cotopaxi. Hiked to some decent waterfalls as well as up to Pasochoa! Didn't actually touch Cotopaxi which was the original plan.. But then again I didn't do a lot of things I planned to do and did a bunch that I hadn't planned!

Straight out of Lord Of The Rings


Cali, Colombia

1 hour long public bus, 5 hour bus to the border, 15 minute taxi to the actual border, 30 minutes stamping through both sides, another 5 minute taxi and finally a 10 hour bus ride took me from Quito to Cali. I stayed with David, Juan's brother and had him as a personal tour guide for a full two days. Through the eyes of a local, perspectives definitely change and I wouldn't have had as much fun as I did without the local insight. We also flew back to Rio de Janerio for the a day. Just because. 

Christ the Redeemer. Colombian style

Salento

Coffee country. Gorgeous landscapes and sunsets. Was able to meet up with Jason and Claire again from the Inca Trail! Hiked Valle de Cocora or Corona depending on how much I want a beer at the time. Coffee tours, coffee tasting, my first horseback ride and a tasty birthday dinner that I had the privilege to cook for with the help of my two sous chefs were what made Salento quite epic.

Valle de Cocora

Bogota

Changed my plans a bit to meet up with Eva and Bianca (also Inca Trail) and send off Eva on her way home back to Amsterdam!  Graffiti tour. SO MUCH GRAFFITI. I love graffiti and everything about it. Proper street art makes me happy and Bogota is at the forefront of it. Crepes & Waffles (a Colombian chain of you guessed.. Crepes and waffles), a kilo or four of street food, one bottle of red wine, perhaps a beer or two and three lovely dutch girls made for one fantastic time in the city!

View from the Telefrico

Medellin

Real City Walking Tour. The best tour I've been on in 6 months. Insightful, deep, and quite personal. Followed up by a night out watching the Nacional vs River Plate game with a good group of boys and girls! A quite monotone filled Pablo Escobar tour left my sleeping through most of the afternoon until I smashed a literal mountain of Ribs and Chips. Food Coma. Hiked up Piedra del PeƱol. Here are some pictures, because it happened. 

Classic Photo
Guatape

Literally came here just for this view.

Piedra del Penol
Final two weeks on the Caribbean coast of Colombia before I end my backpacking journey and fly off.. To meet my family in Miami for a week long Caribbean cruise. Very muy bien!

Channy
Instagram - itsnathanchan
December 6, 2014, Dreamer Hostel, Santa Marta  

No comments:

Post a Comment